Skip main content and go to sidebar feature
The year-long Emerging Leaders Program offers training, tools, and support for new faculty and those who are transitioning to leadership roles. It provides:
- Leadership training designed specifically for family medicine educators
- An actual leadership experience — participants lead a team in completion of a project, then present their results
- A personal coach
- Interaction with STFM leadership
- A full-day leadership workshop at the 2014 STFM Annual Spring Conference
- A mid-year workshop at the 2014 AAFP National Conference with instruction on team teaching, understanding different personality types, advocacy, and communicating with the media
- Graduation, a poster presentation, and an STFM leadership opportunities session at the 2015 STFM Annual Spring conference
- Program acceptance notifications sent out
- Attendance at the STFM Annual Spring Conference
- Preconference workshop on leadership
- Leadership labs
Summer and Fall 2014:
- Leadership Practicum: gain valuable experience while leading a group to complete important work
- Participate in leadership conference calls
Early August 2014:
- Attend a mid-year workshop (held in conjunction with the AAFP’s National Conference for Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students)
- Participate in Peer Synergy Groups
- Lead your team to completion
- Prepare your presentations for Annual Spring Conference
- Attend additional leadership programming and wrap-up meeting
- Present your poster at the STFM Annual Spring Conference
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s different about this leadership program?
STFM’s Emerging Leaders program is designed specifically for family medicine educators. If you love family medicine and you love teaching, then this program will teach you how to become a leader. You will be in a leadership role when you arrive to start the program. Right from the beginning. You will learn many things, from many people, many ways (Coaches, faculty, workshop) but this program starts you with actual experience selecting talent, chairing conference calls, motivating others, and leading.
If I’m actually leading a group, what will I do if I have obstacles (or a difficult team member)?
That’s how your Coach will be helpful. You’ll have the ear of someone who’s an accomplished leader. Your Coach can tell you how to handle difficult people, difficult situations, and share secrets of motivating others. You can ask your coach anything, and he or she will set you up for success.
Why should I choose this program over other options?
Visibility. You’ll present your work (and yourself) to STFM leadership -- the people who are incredible connections and may appoint you to a leadership role within STFM or another organization. You’ll attend the STFM Annual Spring Conference 2 years in a row. Nothing tops this conference for networking, exposure, and presentation experience.
What will the Emerging Leaders program do for me?
Teach you to create change. Be it creating a healthier community, leading re-design of your practice, or running for office in a national organization, you will be prepared to excel and to make a difference after participating in the Emerging Leaders program.
What does the Emerging Leaders program cost?
The registration fee for Emerging Leaders is $2,900.This covers the session fee, plus your registration fee for two STFM Annual Spring Conferences.