STFM and the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) are in the final stages of a pilot program that offers Performance Improvement continuing certification credit (previously MOC Part IV) to ABFM diplomates who provide personal instruction, training, and supervision to a medical student or resident and who participate in a teaching improvement activity. The Precepting Performance Improvement Program allows academic units (Sponsors), who were selected through an application process, to develop and oversee the completion of performance improvement (PI) projects that meet the ABFM Family Medicine Certification requirements.
The program will be modified as needed based on input from the pilot sites, then it made available to all academic units/preceptors in early 2019.
Resources for Pilot Sites
The following documents and links are for the 43 academic units selected for the pilot program.
- Teaching Skills Self-Assessment Tool for Faculty (PDF)
A self-assessment is one way to gather baseline and post data for participants in the pilot. It can be used to identify areas for self-growth or for group faculty development activities.
- Research Report: Developing and Testing an Instrument to Measure the Effectiveness of Clinical Teaching in an Academic Medical Center (PDF)
Contains useful information about assessment of teaching skills
- ABFM Website With Information About the PI Pilot Project
Includes information about requirements for credit
- Section of ABFM Website With Instructions for Submitting Completions
- Sample Attestation Form (PDF)
This form should be completed by ABFM-certified physicians who seek Family Medicine Certification credit for completing an approved Performance Improvement (PI) activity. Attestations should be retained by Sponsoring Institutions.
- Requirements for Submission of PI Projects/Interventions (PDF)
- Sample Newsletter Article and Email About Pilot Program (Word)
- Introductory Webinar for the Precepting Performance Improvement Pilot Program
- Webinar With Institutional Reports on lessons learned - 7/11/18
- Webinar with Institutional Reports on Lessons Learned and Details on Submitting Completions - 10/10/18\
- Draft Final Report (PDF)