STFM Establishes an Annual Conference Lecture for an Esteemed Medical Student Education Leader

November 10, 2020—In appreciation and recognition of his leadership and generous contributions of time, talent, and resources to medical student education, the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) and the STFM Foundation created the Scott Fields Lecture to take place each year at the STFM Conference on Medical Student Education, beginning in 2021. Fields, a national leader in medical student education, is the former professor and vice chair of the Department of Family Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University and the current chief medical officer for OCHIN, a nonprofit health care innovation center designed to provide knowledge solutions that promote quality, affordable health care for all.

Scott A. Fields, MD, MHA, and his wife Vicki Fields recently provided a gift of $50,000 to the STFM Foundation, 90% of which will be placed in the Foundation’s unrestricted endowment that is administered and managed by the STFM Foundation. The remaining 10% will support the 2020 Foundation General Fund. Funds, to be drawn annually from the Foundation, support the honoraria and travel of the conference’s plenary speaker.

“The purpose of this gift is to support STFM priorities, particularly those related to medical student education,” stated Fields. “We are honored to support and help develop family medicine both now and into the future.”

“Scott Fields is a committed leader who has served in numerous leadership positions within STFM, including serving as STFM Board President and Member at Large, STFM Foundation Board of Trustees Vice President, and he was instrumental in creating the task force and charge to develop the National Clerkship Curriculum,” said Tricia Elliott, MD, STFM President. “We are a better organization because of his leadership and service.”

The STFM Conference on Medical Student Education is an annual conference bringing together medical students and family medicine care teams to create a stronger future in family medicine medical student education, while exploring topics such as the diversification of the family medicine workforce, racism and health equity in health systems, and the incorporation of foundational skills, innovations, and best practices.

“Named lectures provide a meaningful way to recognize members who have significantly committed their time, talents, and financial resources to advancing STFM priorities and the organization. It is personally meaningful to me to be able to recognize Scott and Vicki, two incredible individuals, while they are still involved in STFM,” said STFM Executive Director and CEO Stacy Brungardt, CAE.

Contact Us

 

11400 Tomahawk Creek Parkway

Leawood, KS 66211

(800) 274-7928

Email: stfmoffice@stfm.org 

 

 

Deadlines

January 22-February 8: Time Frame to Submit Proposals for the CERA Clerkship Directors Survey

February 1: Deadline to Register for the Virtual 2021 Conference on Medical Student Education

February 1: Deadline to Apply for the STFM Medical Editing Fellowship

February 1: Deadline to Apply for the Education Column Co-Editor Position

February 8: Deadline to Submit Presentation Proposals for the Conference on Practice and Quality Improvement

February 10: Last day to Receive a $100 Discount on STFM Certificate Programs

February 15: Deadline to Submit Entries for the STFM Annual Poetry & Prose Contest