The STFM Communications Committee will screen all nominations, and the STFM Board of Directors will make the final selections.
In screening nominations, the Communications Committee will rank candidates according to their achievements and activities related to training future family physicians to be humanistic caregivers. These achievements and activities will go beyond just the practice or daily teaching of humanistic medicine.
Nominees must be STFM members (self nominations are welcome).
This award is for work that encourages dialogue, promotes reflection, builds community, and
inspires action for equity and change. Priority will be given to nominees who are teaching residents
and/or medical students the ideals of diversity and who have disseminated these ideals as part of
their precepting and patient-, family-, and relationship-centered care.
The activities should have significance at the regional or national level.
Examples would include:
- Developing and implementing a curriculum to teach diversity
- Teaching, work, and or projects that alter the way we think about ourselves, our organization, our work, and others through multicultural perspectives
- Leading initiatives to promote diversity in medical education
- Promoting an environment that is welcoming, supportive, and nurturing to all faculty, staff, and learners
- Partnering with organizations to increase diversity education and training throughout the medical community
- Mentoring underrepresented minorities to help eliminate educational barriers
- Improving awareness related to diversity, inclusion, bias, and/or health care disparities
- Leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities and improve the delivery of equitable, cross-cultural health care in the community
- Conducting research about the promotion, the practice, and/or the teaching of diversity
- Writing papers that demonstrate the importance of diversity in medical education
- Presenting about diversity/equity at conferences
- A nominee must be an STFM member (self nominations are welcome).
- Prepare the following:
- A statement from the nominator citing the nominee's accomplishments and activities that warrant consideration for the STFM award
- Up to three additional letters of support from both the nominee's home institution (or agency) and from a regional or nationally placed reference, addressing the nominee's national or regional contribution to increasing and teaching diversity in family medicine education
- A sample of his or her work in diversity if applicable (ie, curricular materials, publication reprints, etc.)
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee
- Complete the nomination form and compile above materials and send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15.
All nominees will be notified in late December.
Recipients for this award will be honored during the STFM Annual Spring Conference. The award winner will receive a commemorative award and a complimentary registration to the STFM Annual Spring Conference.