December 1, 2023—The Society of Teachers of Family Medicine is now accepting applications for the new FM POCUS Educator's Certificate Program. This new program will train family medicine residency faculty to serve as their program's POCUS champion with the skills to train family medicine residents how to effectively use POCUS.
From April 2024 to May 2025, participants in the certificate program will benefit from:
- A POCUS curriculum tailored for family medicine faculty
- Robust in-person and virtual workshops
- A series of case-based online modules on nine targeted topics
- Image review with feedback by experienced faculty
- Mentor/mentee small group sessions to discuss POCUS and review images
- A final assessment with both written and in-person skills exams
The program component requirements are:
- Workshop Component: Participants must attend three POCUS workshops.
- Online Modules: Participants must be complete an STFM module series focused on teaching as well as content-based POCUS modules.
- Mentorship: Participants will be assigned a POCUS mentor as a resource during their time enrolled in the certificate program.
- Education Review: Virtual education reviews focusing on giving feedback on images as you would to your learner.
- Image Portfolio: Participants will upload images for faculty to review and give feedback. This will give participants the opportunity to receive individual feedback and procure approved scans to use for credentialing.
- Final Assessment: Participants must successfully pass a written knowledge assessment and an in-person skills performance exam.
Applicants must be current STFM members as well as:
- A family medicine faculty member with resources to practice POCUS regularly.
- A letter of support from your program director or chair stating you have the time and resources to fully participate.
- Committed to attending monthly Zoom POCUS image review meetings.
- Committed to attending in-person workshops May 3-5, 2024, and September 14, 2024, and a virtual full-day workshop in early 2025.
Applications can be submitted here. Please have your letter of support ready.